The Mad Parson

As a matter of fact, yes, I do think irreverence is a spiritual gift.

Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Ad Fontes

I don't know why I keep reading the AP wire--or anything promulgated by Boston, for that matter. At the risk of beating the media and religion horse to death, I'm linking this article on Dr King and the pro-gay movement. It seems to me that at least three things are of note here:
  • Martin Luther King, III is, like Jesse Jackson, whoring after liberal support, both financial and otherwise, in my humble estimation. He is not advancing his father's legacy; he is living off of it. When Trip King comes out against the liberals on an issue while still advocating the liberty advanced by his father, I'll start thinking he's his own man. Until then, I refuse to believe he is automatically the heir to Dr King simply because he shares the genetic and experiential material.
  • How biased can a piece be? Notice how opposition to gay marriage is assumed to be "homophobia". Funny, that. I have numerous friends who are gay. I'm not afraid of them. I'm not afraid of their lifestyle. I see neither them nor their behavior as an inherent threat to me or my family. I wish they would worship with me. I enjoy having them around. I oppose gay marriage. How to explain that, Ms Chu?
  • Dr King drew his vision up from the Bible. He followed the example of his namesake, Martin Luther, who himself followed the example of Desiderius Erasmus in proclaiming, "Ad fontes!"--"Back to the source!" Dr King had a vision of liberty and harmony because that's the vision of the Scriptures. He did not articulate an agenda and then quote the verses that seem to back him up. Where the Canon led, Dr King followed. I do wish he were still here. He would know, I think, how to uphold the Scriptural teaching of homosexuality as a sin while simultaneously welcoming them into our communities as equal partners and persons. He was that great a man. We could sure use him now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter