The Mad Parson

As a matter of fact, yes, I do think irreverence is a spiritual gift.

Saturday, January 22, 2005

Inauguration: Security

Due to the press reports about D.C. being in 'lockdown', I arrived expecting something along the lines of Polish martial law enacted. Nothing could be further from the truth. Admittedly, the law enforcement officials were omnipresent and deliberately conspicuous. But they were immensely polite and helpful, and, while they were armed, their arms were concealed. No M-16s or M-61s to be seen. In addition, I had to look for snipers to locate them, as indicated by the photo below. There were checkpoints at numerous locations, but the officers again were considerate and efficient. I was impressed by the demeanor of the officers, especially since a great many of them were imported (I talked to officers from as far away as Colorado). Mobility was limited, but security was nowhere near as daunting as I thought it would be. My daughters noticed the inconvenience of the multiple checkpoints, but nothing more. All in all, I thought the security was balanced. It was visible and restrictive enough for me to feel safe carrying my daughters to the event, while invisible and open enough for me not to feel like I was in the Gulag.

Which is why I think this piece from Kathleen Parker is asinine. Worse than the Guardia Civil? Worse than being interrogated in East Germany? Where was she? Now granted, I didn't get to go to any of the balls or dinners, so I can't speak to that. But I did walk all up and down Constitution and Independence and Third and everywhere else you could go with the ticket I had. I like to think that the inauguration is mainly for people like me--average Americans who want to somehow participate in and introduce their children to national civic life. That means freedom as well as safety . I found the level of security to provide both.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter